Breakfast Of Champions

-

Happy home improvement month, at least that is what we are celebrating at All Of The F-Words during the month of August. We have taken all summer to handpick the best pieces and projects for our new home and this month we are sharing them with you in a "home edition mini-series". 

Today, I am focused on our breakfast of champions! Our breakfast nook. True, we didn't have to "construct" anything new in this room per se, but a lot of thought went into the details of this room because it is where we start our days. 



When we moved into our new home the kitchen had just been remodeled and I immediately fell in love with the warm cream tones of the cabinets and leathered granite that cascaded across our countertops and into the coffee bar inside our breakfast nook.

 Our main kitchen island featured a gorgeous continuous piece of tri-colored granite in shades of black, white and gold. Being the centerpiece to our house I truly believe that this specific piece set the tone for the designs to come (more about this inspiration in a future kitchen blog). 

When I envisioned a relaxing, warm and refreshing place to start my day, I brainstormed colors and patterns that I knew both myself, and my husband could live with. There was no way Dallas was going to let me pile shades of pale pink all over our new house in hopes to set it apart from the very brown rustic vibe that we furbished our previous home in. 



Don't get me wrong. I loved our restoration hardware feel in our prior house but this homestead screamed modern elegance, not french rustic. Sure we would still be able to use most of our old pieces of furniture but the rooms themselves would be decorated and accessorized very differently.

Take our breakfast nook itself. We still made our old table and chairs work but instead of our vintage jupe chestnut and ivory rug, I updated the look with a navy blue, gray and gold patterned rug I found in the target home section. Navy and gold will be a color pattern you will see throughout our new home.

I also kept our personalized wine barrel lazy susan from Pottery Barn and our AR Workshop sign that I made myself in one of those "girls night" classes. Except for this time, instead of being surrounded by iron and wood, I ordered an antique gold half moon accent table from Wayfair to finish off the room. 

Fun fact about this table... it wasn't exactly "antique" gold when I unpacked it. I was actually going to send it back until I learned that shipping it back to Wayfair was going to be $100 for my $299 table. So I took that bad boy out back with a brillo pad and took off some of the bright gold paint to give it a more antique feel. Now, I LOVE IT!



It just goes to show that sometimes you've got to get a little creative. Which we did in more than one room in our new house.  Sometimes, what is in your head is hard to find and you have a better shot of creating it than settling on a piece of furniture you will just come to resent.  

Happy Monday! 


No comments

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *